The EL478 is a state-of-the-art satellite modem optimized for high speed IP applications over satellite in compliance with the DVB-S2 standard. As a real IP product, this modem performs IP processing functions such as packet filtering, routing and encapsulation. In order to achieve speeds up to 160 Mbit/s, only the fastest and most bandwidth-efficient encapsulation and modulation parameters are supported.
The EL478 offers a dual auto-switching Gigabit Ethernet interface to transmit and receive simultaneously IP packets (or Ethernet frames) over satellite. The modem integrates seamlessly with terrestrial IP networks and equipment. Incoming IP packets can be filtered using VLAN or MAC addresses, transmitted transparently (bridging)) or routed to several destination addresses using Newtec’s Extended Performance (XPE) encapsulation.
The EL478 is capable of receiving DVB-S2 Multistream, VCM or ACM signals and can optionally transmit in VCM mode. For maximum bandwidth efficiency, the EL478 can also be used in Adaptive Coding and Modulation (ACM) mode, modifying the modulation parameters dynamically in function of the link conditions. The modem incorporates the renowned FlexACM® technology which fully optimizes the satellite link at optimal availability.
At the output of the modulator, the signal is available on an L-band interface. Extended L-band, IF-band as well as BUC power supply and reference frequency are available as configuration options, providing a compact and cost effective solution.
When activated, the unique linear and non- linear predistortion option Equalink™ provides an additional link margin improvement of up to 2dB, truly unleashing the full efficiency of higher modulation schemes such as 16 and 32 APSK.
On the receive side, the EL478 has a dual L-band input. The active input is selected by the user and can provide DC power and frequency band selection signals compatible with most professional and commercial LNBs. An adaptive equalizer compensates linear distortion of the transmission channel and the integrated Noise & Distortion Estimator (NoDE) tool provides an accurate reading of the satellite link margin even in presence of non-linear distortion and allows the user to find the optimum input back-off setting very easily for 16APSK or 32APSK operation, whether or not non-linear predistortion is applied.
Clean Channel Technology™ is available on the EL478 IP modulator as an option. Clean Channel Technology™ further improves satellite efficiency by up to 15% compared to the current DVB-S2 standard. Newtec’s customers will be able to immediately benefit from Clean Channel Technology, as it is available as a software field upgrade for existing Newtec equipment.
- DVB-S2 compliant
- QPSK, 8PSK, 16APSK and 32APSK
- XPE encapsulation
- Data rates up to 160 Mbit/s
- L-band monitoring output
- Programmable amplitude slope equalizer
- Noise & Distortion Estimator (NoDE) tool
- Multistream, VCM and ACM reception
- Optional switchable BUC power supply on L-band output
- Optional Extended L-band
- Optional embedded point-to-point FlexACM controller and/or client (FlexACM®)
- Optional 10 MHz reference input/output
- Optional Linear and non-linear predistortion (EqualinkTM)
- Optional AES encryption
- Optional Clean Channel Technology™
- Enables high speed IP links over satellite
- Lower operational costs thanks to highest bandwidth efficiency
- Integrated hardware and software offering for end-to-end solution
- Secure and encrypted satellite transmissions
- High versatility and flexibility
- Fit for operations over Inclined Orbit Satellites